Jul 21, 2008

The ONLY Constant...CHANGE (Part 2)

I'm finally catching up with the news of the family - if you read Part 1 of this story you know Coby is leaving for Alaska in about 5 weeks. One of the challenges I was trying to figure out when it was confirmed that he was leaving is how I was going to teach Home-Study Seminary every Sunday morning with 3 kids. Because they are early risers teaching as home wouldn't work. I had already tried changing the time the students could meet and Sunday AM is about the only time. I had just about decided that I needed to ask the Bishopric for help when I got a phone call one Saturday about noon. I was speaking in church the next day and so I figured that the member of the Bishopric was calling to make sure I was ready, etc. When he told me he needed to meet with me that day my mind started thinking ---- "The Primary's 1st Couns. had just moved out of the ward, but the bishopric counselor wasn't the right counselor for a Primary calling - but yet the counselor over the Primary had been out of town. No, they don't move Seminary teachers...it must be something about seminary."

I was very curious and the 3 hours until my appointed meeting seemed to take forever! When I finally arrived at the church I figured this would be as good a time as any to explain that Coby would be gone for 6 months and I would appreciate some help finding someone to help me with my kids for Seminary purposes.

Luckily after I walked in, we started with prayer and he got right to it...I was asked to be the Education Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency! WHAT??? They don't move Seminary teachers!! This was a surprise to me!

Admittedly I had been feeling the winds of change coming, but thought that I was just imagining things. I said something like "I guess this means I'm done with Seminary" and he responded - well the Bishop knows how much you love Seminary and wants you to see what your RS load will be like during the summer and then assess what needs to be done in the Fall. After I told him that Coby would be gone, etc. he understood that Seminary would be over for me.

Now almost a month later, our Presidency is in full swing and we are a great team. The president reminds me a ton of my mom and she is a real fun, hard worker. The Bishop asked that we visit all the sisters and I think that she will get it done before the end of the summer! We have a sister from each stage of life. The Prez who has almost all her kids out of the house, me who still has young kids at home, the Enrichment Couns. who is a grandmother, and the sec. who is a relatively new mother. It's great to get so many different perspectives!

Since the call and the setting apart I have felt such a love for the sisters in our ward. I love our ward anyway, but man, what a unity I desire for the women of our ward - and when the women unite, family friendships are strengthened and the ward becomes a cohesive unit!! ZION! What a goal!

3 comments:

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

I'm so sad I'm leaving the ward...you'll do great. Call me if ya need anything...even someone around sometimes while your hubby is gone. :)

The Hardings said...

Congrats on your new calling! I got called as the enrichment counselor a few months ago and I was shocked that they asked me. I mean, the R.S. presidency always seemed like it was a group of women that really have it together, and I sure don't! :) Good luck with your new assignment. It will be a big blessing to you, especially when Coby is away.

Alabama Apples said...

Wow- months!! I'm feeling for you. You're a better woman than I am. I loved how the Lord comforted you. Isn't it wonderful how He recognizes the needs of each of us. I know He is aware of me and my issues just as He is of yours. What a blessing the Gospel is to our lives!