Jun 18, 2008

A Great Friend - Gone

Codi & Kathleen - May 22, 1998
It's taken me a while to be able to write down my feelings about a wonderful lady who lived well and died too young! While visiting my family in OK in late May I called home to check our answering machine messages (I was anticipating getting some attendance info for seminary class that HAD to be turned in by May 31 - I'm not really that addicted to my answering machine) - and I heard a message from a friend I hadn't talked to in a long time. She told me that my sweet friend Kathleen Briggs had died.

I was driving down the road when I heard this message and I involuntarily cried! I missed my friend! I was so sad that I hadn't seen her in years and planned to visit her this summer when I head out west. Sad I didn't keep in better contact with her and sad that she won't be a part of my life - even if it was just the occasional email and Christmas newsletter.

Kathleen was the Relief Society President in our student ward and bravely called me to be her second counselor. The more I got to know Kathleen the more I loved her - mostly because she loved me - and she was one of the best "people cheerleaders" I know. [definition of people cheerleader: someone who ALWAYS finds the good in someone and lets them know about it, NEVER speaks ill of anyone, and LOVES everyone!]

Colleen - Kathleen's best friend and a great person in her own right - left a long message detailing what Kathleen had put in her PDA as a message to me when she died. I say when because during our adventure in the RS presidency together Kathleen was diagnosed with a very aggressive type of breast cancer. She survived the chemo, etc. only for it to show up in other parts of her body - which eventually killed her. She also survived - with a "can do" attitude - a horrible t-bone collision! She is amazing!

The message that Kathleen requested be passed on to me demonstrates her love for the individual. She was incredibly organized and Colleen said that she left messages on her PDA for all the people Kathleen wanted to be contacted and what she wanted them to know about themselves and how she felt about them.

I sure love Kathleen. April 2, 2008 was the celebration of 10 years surviving cancer - she made it 10+ years!!! She will be missed, but it just gives such hope for the eternal nature of our spirits and the blessing to reunite with friends again!
Kathleen, Codi, Coby, Colleen - May 22, 1998

Here is a copy of the page I sent to her for the surprise 'Survival Celebration Book' Colleen put together (thanx to my sister for help putting it together - I'm totally "cute scrapbook page" illiterate!):

5 comments:

Melisa said...

I love her. She was the YW President for a little while when I was teaching the Beehives. She was so sweet and helpful. She was amazing.

Mamapierce said...

I was so sad to hear that she passed away. She was my VT for a long time and was so faithful and a real cheerleader - just like you said! I just found your blog - it is SO fun! :o) Are you in TX now?

Aubrey said...

Kathleen was an amazing person. She was always such a good example to me. I'm glad you found me - I can't believe how big your kids are and we should definitely stay in touch.

Carli said...

Codi, this was a beautiful tribute to Kathleen. I know how much she meant to you and Coby.

idahomayos said...

I'm so sorry to hear that she passed away. I admired her strength so much when we went down that road with Steve's illness. She left an amazing mark on the world. Cheers to good health! It's truly a blessing!!