Jan 28, 2008

The Passing of a Great Era

As you probably already know, President Gordon B. Hinckley - 15th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - passed away last night. My initial reaction was mixed. I was sad because he has been such a positive force for good in the church and the world during his long life and that is now over. I was happy because I know that he wanted to be with his dear wife and now they are united for all eternity! I love that through the gospel I know that death is not the end.

I am also extremely grateful that there is no question about the future leadership of the church. There is no political positioning among the leadership - there is no question about the organization. I love that the church moves on.

I loved President Hinckley - he gave profound counsel and didn't beat around the bush. In seminary there are quite a few quotes from him in the lessons and I love their directness - there is no question how President Hinckley feels about a topic - he states his feelings directly! I look forward to President Monson and like so many will be acutely tuned in during the next General Conference!

No comments: