May 20, 2008

So Blessed...

So I don't write too much on the blog because I feel like some of what I have to say wouldn't be too interesting. I guess when you think about it, that is relative to each person - so here goes on some of my thoughts for the past couple of weeks.

Coby has been traveling - lots - lately which means that I'm a single parent. This isn't as bad as it used to be since the kids are getting older and they are able to do more for themselves. I love that my kids are growing up! Sometimes I feel lonely when he is gone...I get into a self-pitty mode, but last week and again this week when the quiet nites and quiet mornings leave me with time to think I have felt the overwhelming love of the Lord! Last week I was studying about Abinadi in the Book of Mormon (Mosiah 12-17) in prep for subbing in the Gospel Doctrine class. Abinadi tells King Noah and his wicked priests about the Savior, His atonement and love for all men. When I was reading Mosiah 15 - I felt so loved!

Elder Merrill J. Bateman gave an excellent quote about Mosiah 15 and Alma 7 in a talk when he was BYU President that helps me to better understand the atonement and the Saviors ability to succor, heal, mend, and take on our infirmities and afflictions!

"May I share with you my witness of the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ. His atonement in the meridian of time is the most important event in human history. I know that in a garden Adam and Eve fell that you and I might experience mortality. I also know that in another garden and on the cross, the Lord and Creator of this earth suffered our sins so that we can return home if we will exercise faith in him and repent. There are many scriptures that have helped me understand the personal nature of the Atonement. Two are exceptional. The first is from Alma 7:11-12.
And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
"And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
"Alma reveals to us the process by which the Master learned perfect empathy in the flesh. He experienced not only our sins but also our pains, sufferings, temptations of every kind, sicknesses, infirmities, and weaknesses. He also experienced death in order to loose the bands of death for his people. Consequently, if one of us has a special problem, it is not possible for him or her to say, "No one knows what I am experiencing. No one understands my pain or suffering." The Lord knows! He not only knows the depth of your experience, he knows how to succor you because of his suffering.
"The second passage comes from Mosiah, where the prophet Abinadi quotes chapter 53 of Isaiah to the wicked priests of King Noah:
"And now I say unto you, who shall declare his generation? Behold, I say unto you, that when his soul has been made an offering for sin he shall see his seed. And now what say ye? And who shall be his seed?
"Behold I say unto you, that whosoever has heard the words of the prophets [and has] hearkened unto their words, and believed that the Lord would redeem his people . . . are his seed. [Mosiah 15:10-11]
"For many years I envisioned the Garden of Gethsemane and the cross as places where an infinite mass of sin and pain were heaped upon the Savior. Thanks to Alma and Abinadi, it is no longer an infinite mass but an infinite stream of people with whom the Savior became intimately acquainted as he suffered our sins, pains, and afflictions. I testify that he knows each of us, is concerned about our progress, and has the infinite capacity not only to heal our wounds but also to lift us up to the Father as sanctified sons and daughters. “A Precious Treasure” Sept. 1996 – BYU Speeches

I love this quote!!

The other reason I feel blessed is because of the sisterhood of the church. Tonite I co-hosted a baby shower for a wonderful friend in the ward that has waited 9 years to have a baby! They are over the moon as she is due in July and everything is going great! We had so many ladies come to the shower to show support and love! It was terrific! After the shower died down there were 6 ladies that stayed after and talked - until 11pm - some are still out in the cul-de-sac talking. What great friendship! What love for others! What FUN!! We come from different places, lifestyles, backgrounds, cultures, but when we become a sisterhood there is a strong bond! I had a friend come help me clean today since Coby was gone. The ladies tolerated my kids as they mingled during the party and all was well. I reorganized my furniture, cleaned a bit (there will be more to do tomorrow) and just felt blessed!

What a blessed woman I am!!!

4 comments:

Devonna said...

thank you for sharing w/ us tonite. I love to hear from you and know what you are doing. I can't wait to see you in person at Tahoe. Hail to the part time single mothers of this world! Love you and your family tons. Devo

Melisa said...

I wish I had your good attitude while I'm in single parent mode. Thanks for the motivation. I'm glad you posted this!

Leighanna said...

Thanks for your thoughts Codi. I have been going through an interestingly boring, stressful and lonely time lately. Your comments were very uplifting.

Carli said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your and Pres. Bateman's insights. What a wonderful reminder about the atonement. Can't wait to see you in a couple days!