May 4, 2012

Inspiration/Motivation

Over the past several weeks I have been hearing people talk about motivation and inspiration.  We had a meeting at work where our group's outgoing manager asked us..."What motivates you?"  So it got me to thinking about what motivates/inspires me.

After much thought on this I came to the conclusion of being able to make a difference.  Whether it be through my profession and helping people understand the importance of making safety a personal thing.  Spiritually by doing more than the basic primary answers but showing a genuine concern for others and helping them through their trials of life.  Physically by making a difference in my own life and motivating others to do the same.

Because of the change in lifestyle that Codi and I have taken on and doing our best to be more physically fit we have heard several people tell us we are an inspiration to them.  To me this helps keep me motivated in doing so.  Codi helps keep me inspired to not quit and settle for what I have currently achieved, but to keep going.  My sister-in-law Audra helps keep me motivated by her encouraging words and suggestions to help me become a more fit person. Others offering kind words of encouragement.

Last Friday I went in for my yearly physical and my doctor looked at my chart and exclaimed "You get me excited!!!"  Then she proceeded to give me a high five.  My first thoughts were that isn't something you say to a half naked man sitting in front of you but in the context of the situation it was definitely appropriate.  I had taken a step in the right direction to get to a healthier me and she was very stoked about it.  Codi and I joke about it and laugh, but recently her endocrinologist said something similar to her...she was fully dressed however.

To date Codi and I have lost a combined total of 50 lbs and we are almost at 90 days into this transformation.  Life gives us opportunities all the time and it is how we seize those opportunities is how we make a difference.  Take the time to think about what motivates/inspires you and seize that thought and do something with it and you will be amazed at what a difference you can make.

Good Luck to Audra on Saturday who is running the Saint George IronMan (140.6 miles)...that takes motivation.

No comments: